Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: Jef Hitsman

Name:  Jef Hitsman

Degree Received upon graduation:  B.A. Radio/Television Programming/Production/Performance

Graduation Year:  1999

Current Job:  Director, The Ohio News Network (ONN)

Brief description of your duties: 
I (primarily) direct morning newscast, but also am responsible for operating Master Control.  Additionally, I shoot, write, and edit for several of our various long form programs as well as produce our weekly High School game of the week.

How did AU and the broadcast/journalism department help you receive this job?
The diversity of the program and the many opportunities it offered in not only classes, but especially having our own radio and TV stations, gave me a chance to learn the many skill sets I need for my job.  Leaving AU, that broadness of range made me more marketable.  Twelve years later those skills have led to job security.

What is your favorite aspect of the job? My official title is Director, but with all of my responsibilities I am not just confined to our control room for the entire day.  My other duties have me spending my days after our morning newscast editing, traveling the entire state shooting video and interviews or working from production trucks.  It makes for a lot of long but busy days and keeps the days from getting boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment