Thursday, October 1, 2015

Kate Siefert's Internship Experience:

WKYC Channel 3 in Cleveland

News and Sports Intern:

My job is definitely what I make of it. I could come in everyday and sit at the news desk to answer phones and emails and no one would necessarily tell me what to do. But we strategically plan to come in at times when we know reporters will be going out in the field. This gives us the opportunity to go through a typical day in the life of a reporter. Usually, the reporters will let the interns conduct the interviews, help shoot video and later assist in editing the package for live TV. Another asset to this internship is getting the chance to do mock stand-ups and live shots that I will be able to use for my reel when applying for jobs my senior year. This has been an especially exciting summer with the release of the Brelo verdict and the Cav's playoff run.

I have learned so much throughout my time here at Channel 3. One of the most important things though, is learning to have the ability to adjust. In the world of media, things can change in a matter of seconds and as a reporter, you really need to be able to go with the flow and adjust in the best way possible to ensure a successful show.

I would not have an opportunity like this if it was not for the Digital Media and Journalism program at Ashland. Not only does the program provide me with hands on experiences, but it also gave me the confidence I needed to be successful throughout the internship. I also do not believe I would have been able to receive this job without the wonderful professors in the department. They have truly taught me so much and I am very lucky to be a part of such a successful program.


1 comment:

  1. Kate,
    Fantastic job on your internship! JDM is very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete