Wednesday, January 25, 2012

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHT: John Telich


One of Cleveland’s very own sports directors graduated from Ashland College and we couldn’t be more proud! John Telich had the passion to cover sports and Ashland gave him the support and tools to seek a sports media job upon graduation. Telich is now a part of a Northeastern Ohio news network, scoring the latest stats and interviews with Ohio’s athletes!


Name: John Telich



Degree received upon graduation: Broadcast Journalism



Graduation year: 1975



Current Job: I am the Sports Director of Fox8 Television in Cleveland, Ohio



Brief description of job duties: My duties include determining what sports content to cover and making sure that we can get to the venues to cover the sporting events, and conduct interviews with athletes. I also keep tabs on games all over Northeast Ohio and the nation to determine our video highlights to air.



How did AU and the broadcast/journalism department help you receive this job? I owe my career to Larry Hiner, Dick Liedy and others who helped shape my professional style. The greatest aspect of what Ashland afforded me was the hands on method to teach. Being a so- called professional broadcaster while still in college prepared me to have the mindset to be successful.  



What is your favorite aspect of your job? My favorite aspect of the job is that every day is different. I cover a variety of sports and personalities and that never gets old.  I can cover everything from Pro sports to youth sports in the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment