Wednesday, August 10, 2011

INTERNSHIP SPOTLIGHT: Megan Wise

Megan Wise on duty at the HOF!
It's been a busy summer for JDM interns. From film production companies in NYC, to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, many of our students spent their break getting hands-on experiences in media. 

Junior Megan Wise, a Speech Communication and Broadcast Communication double major, parlayed her strong interest in the production of events into a private events internship with the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Wise learned the finer points of creating and facilitating first class events for the Canton community and for the 2011 NFL Class of Enshrinees, their families and their guests. A Blog Converged caught up with Megan after this weekend's big NFL party to discuss her internship with the Hall of Fame and how it has helped her gain further insight into the event industry. 
Name:  Megan Wise
Internship:  Pro Football Hall of Fame
Location of Internship:  Canton, Ohio
 “Job Title”:  Private Events Intern
Favorite Part of Internship: The 2011 Enshrinement Weekend had to be my favorite part of the internship for so many reasons. After months of brainstorming, creating, and implementing, it was so satisfying to see all of the Enshrinees’ parties come together. From the lights, décor, food, and entertainment, I had an absolute blast running around the HOF campus making sure that everything was running smoothly. It was satisfying that I had the opportunity to be a part of someone’s special night and help make it as memorable as I could for them. Sure, my feet were tired and the downpours didn’t help much, but it was an experience that I will always remember.
Least favorite part of internship- Even though I had no control over this, the cancellation of the NFL/Hall of Fame Game was my least favorite part of my internship. I wasn’t able to experience how the event staff tears everything down early Sunday morning after the Saturday night parties finish, and then turn right around to prepare for the game. It was a crucial part of the event process that I didn’t have the chance to experience, so I guess I have to go back next year to help and see it all unfold!
What will you take away from this internship for future jobs?- This internship taught me a great deal of how to create and implement a large range of events on a national stage. As I continue to pursue my interest in events, I will have the confidence in knowing that I have the preliminary background of how to professionally and creatively host events varying from small business luncheons, to high profile parties.
How did AU and the JDM department help you succeed in the internship:- Ashland University helped me in more ways than one in preparation for this internship. Across campus, I was taught how to act in an extremely professional manner, and the JDM department taught me how to respectfully communicate to a large range of people. As a whole, AU significantly prepared me in how to present myself at a nationally recognized organization.

Stay tuned for more Internship Spotlights in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment